Tick-related ailments are difficult to diagnose, and patients often have non-specific symptoms.
The EULAR definition of arthralgia suspicious for progression to RA can be used as one guideline to help identify those patients at risk for developing RA.
Current guidelines define remission as the absence of clinical and laboratory evidence of significant inflammatory disease, but the tools that are currently available are inadequate to assess clinical remission.
Petros Efthimiou, MD, a rheumatologist at NYU Langone Health, discusses how clinicians should approach prescribing potentially teratogenic drugs in pregnancy.
If physicians have a genuine interest in acting with beneficence and nonmaleficence, they should recognize that their prescribing habits have significant consequences for their patients.
During the last decade, the number of medical students choosing internal or family medicine has dropped by approximately 80%.
The utility and effectiveness of wearable fitness devices are discussed in a clinician's opinion piece.
Case Studies and Clinical Highlights
A 52-year-old man presents to the emergency department with dizziness and fatigue after a syncopal episode on a camping trip.
A 69 year old man presents joint pain (wrists, elbows, hands, and knees) and swelling with no evidence of erosions.
A female patient with systemic lupus erythematosus presents to the emergency department with an 8 week history of dyspnea, dysphonia, and non-productive cough.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- Painful Temporomandibular Joint Osteoarthritis: Glucosamine Supplements vs Ibuprofen
- Incidence of Multiple Psychiatric Disorders Evaluated in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- TNF Inhibitor Response in Women vs Men With Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Pooled Baricitinib Trial Data Reveal Lipid Profile Changes in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Examining Lupus Low Disease Activity State as an SLE Outcome Measure
- Arthritis Treatments: NSAIDs
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Disease Flares Increase During, Shortly After Pregnancy
- Pregnancy in Rheumatic Disease: Managing Potentially Teratogenic Medications
- Arthritis Treatments: DMARDS and Other Immune Modulators
- Total Costs Attributable to Biologic DMARDs in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Drug Copayments Frequently Surpass Prescription Drug Costs
- Statin Use May Accelerate Disease Onset in Rheumatoid Arthritis Susceptible Populations
- Adherence to Anti-TNF Blocker Recommendations in axSpA Linked to Improved Quality of Life
- Capsule Endoscopy Superior to Colonoscopy for Detection of Crohn Disease in Spondyloarthritis
- Methotrexate May Decrease Risk for Ischemic Stroke in Rheumatoid Arthritis