The pathogenic pathways of SLE-related cognitive dysfunction are yet to be fully elucidated, but vasculopathy, antibody-mediated neurotoxicity, impairments in cytokine signaling, and complement abnormalities have been proposed as contributing factors.
Recent evidence suggests that systemic sclerosis and SLE in pulmonary arterial hypertension should be considered separate diseases.
Sex contributes to several differences in RA disease aspects, including epidemiology, disease course, and management, which results in different experiences for affected men and women.
Providing guidance to improve dietary behavior, which may include supplementation to achieve an optimal nutritional status, can contribute to improved control of fibromyalgia symptoms.
If physicians have a genuine interest in acting with beneficence and nonmaleficence, they should recognize that their prescribing habits have significant consequences for their patients.
During the last decade, the number of medical students choosing internal or family medicine has dropped by approximately 80%.
The utility and effectiveness of wearable fitness devices are discussed in a clinician's opinion piece.
Case Studies and Clinical Highlights
A 52-year-old man presents to the emergency department with dizziness and fatigue after a syncopal episode on a camping trip.
A 69 year old man presents joint pain (wrists, elbows, hands, and knees) and swelling with no evidence of erosions.
A female patient with systemic lupus erythematosus presents to the emergency department with an 8 week history of dyspnea, dysphonia, and non-productive cough.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- Baricitinib Shows Positive Results for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in Phase 2 Study
- Bimekizumab Linked to 12-Week Clinical Improvements in Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Tofacitinib May Effectively Alleviate Pain in RA, Psoriatic Arthritis, and Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Biologic Therapy in Ankylosing Spondylitis: Insights From Social Media
- Sprifermin Improved Cartilage Morphology, Thickness in Knee Osteoarthritis
- Examining the Therapeutic Possibilities of Nutrition in Fibromyalgia
- Managing Cognitive Dysfunction in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Sex-Based Differences in Rheumatoid Arthritis: Clinical Implications and Patient Management
- False-Positive Tuberculin Skin Test Results Linked to Methotrexate Therapy
- Risk of Developing Herpes Zoster Increased in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Occupational Exposure to Fumes Increases Rheumatoid Factor Levels in RA
- Does Maintenance of Certification Status Affect Patient Care?
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit
- Poverty, Neighborhood May Affect Outcomes in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Increased Rates of Opioid- and Injection Drug Use-Related Septic Knee Arthritis