Obesity may affect risk of developing osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, and it has been linked with increased disease activity and adverse clinical outcomes.
The accurate assessment of disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is necessary to facilitate adequate suppression of inflammation in order to limit the progression of joint and periarticular damage
Chronic pain management is dependent on the continuous assessment of pain to determine the effectiveness of the treatment.
Immune modulators have proven to be effective for rheumatologic diseases by altering the immune system, however, they have also been found to produce a variety of endocrine effects in patients as well.
Michael M. Alexiades, MD, met with Rheumatology Advisor to discuss the timely referral of patients with inflammatory arthritides who may be candidates for operative intervention.
Kenneth Saag, MD, president of the National Osteoporosis Foundation (NOF), co-chair of the National Bone Health Alliance, and Rheumatology Advisor advisory board member, reports on the recent changes that have led to the current state of osteoporosis treatment in the US.
Wrongful disclosure of HIPAA-protected health information can lead to patient lawsuits.
A historical analysis suggests that sugar control policies inconsistently cite coronary heart disease as a health risk.
One clinician reflects on the financial incentives provided by the Chronic Care Management (CCM) program of CMS.
Case Studies and Clinical Highlights
A female patient with systemic lupus erythematosus presents to the emergency department with an 8 week history of dyspnea, dysphonia, and non-productive cough.
AA amyloidosis is a rare but significant complication of ankylosing spondylitis (AS) and may lead to proteinuria and renal dysfunction.
Since certain syndromes are associated with good prognosis in a majority of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus, prompt diagnosis and initiation of early goal-directed treatment is crucial.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- Anti-drug Antibody Monitoring of TNF-α Blockers in RA
- Decreasing Morbidity Associated With Scleroderma By Addressing Pain Management
- Serum Amyloid A: An Emerging Biomarker in Early RA?
- IFI44L Promotor Methylation as a Specific Diagnostic Marker of SLE
- FRAX May Overestimate Fracture Risk in RA Patients
- Targeted IL-6 Inhibition With Sirukumab Ineffective in Lupus Nephritis
- Engineered Autologous Nasal Chondrocytes Repair Articular Cartilage
- Assessing Efficacy of Open-Label Placebo for Back Pain
- Low BMD, Increased Fracture Risk With Heavy Cannabis Use
- Nonorgan-Specific Antibodies in Thyroid Disease, Autoimmune Disorders