Geoffrey Littlejohn, MD, provides a clinical perspective on the pathophysiology of fibromyalgia and the role of neurogenic inflammation in the disease process.
Operant learning may provide additional benefits compared with energy conservation in patients with fibromyalgia syndrome.
Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation administered during physical activity may effectively alleviate fibromyalgia-associated pain, fatigue, and disease impact in women.
In a randomized control trial, researchers found that internet-delivered exposure therapy was more cost-effective for patients with fibromyalgia than a waitlist control, which did not involve any treatment during the experimental phase of the study.
Researchers identified risk factors for suicidal ideation and suicide attempts in patients with fibromyalgia.
Allopurinol did not provide pain relief for patients with fibromyalgia pain over the course of 30 days.
The investigators hope that the BCG vaccine can increase anti-inflammatory cytokines, which are deficient in patients with fibromyalgia.
Patients with comorbid fibromyalgia and migraine vs migraine alone may experience more depressive symptoms, greater headache intensity, and be more likely to have severe headache-related disability.
Meeting the criteria for fibromyalgia had a modest effect on disease activity and did not influence the response to TNFi therapy.
Women with fibromyalgia were found to have elevated levels of endocannabinoidome lipid mediators.
Mirtazapine is a central alpha-2 antagonist currently FDA-approved for the treatment of major depressive disorder.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- 5-Step Guide to Activity Tracker Use for Patients With Rheumatic Diseases
- Gout Associated With Worse Outcomes in Obstructive Coronary Artery Disease
- Filgotinib Effective for Treatment of Active Psoriatic Arthritis
- Standard Set of Outcomes Developed for Value-Based Health Care in Inflammatory Arthritis
- Clinically Meaningful Improvement in Rheumatoid Arthritis Assessed With RAPID-3
- Circadian Rhythm in Rheumatoid Arthritis: Using Chronotherapy to Improve Outcomes
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation Reduces Pain, Fatigue in Fibromyalgia
- Aspirin, Anticoagulants Similarly Prevent VTE After TKA
- Study: Cold Weather Joint Pain and Other Weather-Related Pain
- Increased Opioid Prescribing Linked to Chronic Usage in Patients With RA
- Treatment Retention Rates Lower in Patients Switching From Originator to Biosimilar Etanercept
- Climate Change Expected to Lead to Rise in Lyme Disease
- Red Cell Distribution Width Linked to Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors in Spondyloarthritis
- Higher Biologic Drug Survival in JIA With Younger Age at Treatment Initiation
- Enough Is Enough? When Health Metrics Shift From Useful to Too Much