Routine vitamin D and calcium supplementation in older adults is not supported for lowering the incidence of osteoporosis-related fractures.
Hip fracture repair was linked to higher rates of 30-day mortality and post-operative complications when time between hospital arrival and surgery exceeded 24 hours.
In patients with hip fractures, the use of a regional nerve block may provide pain relief, and decrease the risk for pneumonia.
Caffeine intake among women older than 50 may have a small association with a decrease in BMD, and may increase risk of hip fractures.
Daily B vitamins and folic acid do not affect fracture risk in women with preexisting CV disease.
In young adults, fractures are mainly caused by severe trauma.
Colecalciferol did not show a reduce risk for fracture or falls in middle age patients taking a monthly dose.
Hip fracture and risk of major osteoporotic fracture were associated with psychotropic medication use.
Prospective observational cohort study examines association between post-ICU administration of anti-fracture therapy or glucocorticoids and longitudinal changes in bone mineral density.
Low serum levels of dehydroepiandrosterone, DHEA, and it's sulfate (DHEAS) in older men are markers for osteoporotic fracture risk, researchers say.
Study analyzed data on 1.6 million Americans with osteoporosis aged 65 and older.
Study investigators suggest clinicians consider more aggressive preventive therapy for cardiovascular disease in patients with rheumatoid arthritis who have experienced a fragility fracture.
Smartphone-based teleradiology may potentially be used for consultations with specialists to increase access to care.
A standardized process for data analysis and internal benchmarking facilitated a reduction in pain following hip arthroplasty.
Less frequent dosing with zoledronic acid does not increase fracture risk in patients with bone metastases.
At 24 months, rates of vertebral fractures were significantly lower in the romosozumab group.
Investigation is underway to determine a possible genetic cause for hip fracture risk.
Fracture risk appears to be site specific and changes from a pattern associated with obesity preoperatively to a pattern typical of osteoporosis postoperatively
Daily intake of one or less servings of fruit and vegetables linked to increased risk in older adults
The efficacy and safety of abaloparatide was studied in a randomized, double-blind, multicenter trial evaluating fracture prevention in ambulatory, postmenopausal women with osteoporosis.
Analysis of data from the Women's Health Initiative found an association between the Mediterranean diet and risk of hip fracture in postmenopausal women.
In addition to hip fractures, fractures of the spine, shoulder, wrist, or clavicle can lead to a significantly increased risk of death.
Increased Atypical Fracture Rate Associated With Bisphosphonate Treatment in Postmenopausal Asian WomenJanuary 21, 2016
Researchers examine the association between duration of bisphosphonate treatment and risk of atypical femur fracture in postmenopausal women.
A study examines the association between wrist fractures and subsequent fracturing in postmenopausal women.
Nearly half of all fractures in women over age 50 are associated with osteoporosis.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- Large Vessel Vasculitis Imaging: Recommendations for Clinical Practice
- Salivary Gland Ultrasound Scores Improved With Rituximab in Primary Sjogren's Syndrome
- Joint Replacement Rates in OA With Diabetes: Effects of COX-2 Inhibitors Plus Metformin
- Imaging Changes Examined in Tocilizumab-Treated Polymyalgia Rheumatica
- Cancer Immunotherapy Outcomes Evaluated in Patients With Rheumatic Disease
- FDA Advises Recall: Limbrel May Be Linked to Drug-Induced Liver Injury
- Allopurinol Use May Lower Risk for Peripheral Arterial Disease
- Managing Treatment Nonadherence in Rheumatic Diseases
- Optimal Fibromyalgia Management Includes Individualized, Multimodal Therapy
- Risk for COPD, Asthma Among Women With Rheumatoid Arthritis: Nurses' Health Study
- Raynaud Phenomenon, Migraine Linked to aPS/PT Antibodies in Primary Antiphospholipid Syndrome
- Treating Violence as a Contagious Health Problem
- Factors of Plasma Ropivacaine Concentrations After Local Infiltration Analgesia in TKA
- Anti-CCP Positivity Associated With Increased Risk of Major Fracture in RA
- Then and Now: The Crisis of Physician Suicides