Serum uric acid levels above the median prior to cardiac surgery is independently associated with 5.5-fold increased odds of postoperative acute kidney injury.
A study of Medicare patients found that atrial fibrillation was nearly twice as likely to develop in those with vs without gout.
Patients with early-onset gout experience more severe acute joint involvement and earlier metabolic comorbidities than those with common gout.
Data show that gout is associated with an increased risk of developing erectile dysfunction.
Researchers sought to assess the risk for in-hospital gout flares in patients with gout.
Both high and low uric acid levels are associated with an increased risk for mortality.
A study documents a 27% increase in visits to emergency departments for a primary diagnosis of acute gout from 2006 to 2014.
Data suggest that vitamin C supplementation should not be recommended to lower plasma urate.
Medication adherence also remained low in patients who reinitiate treatment after a gap in therapy.
Recent data showed no difference in the risk for myocardial infarction, stroke, new-onset heart failure, coronary revascularization, or all-cause mortality between patients initiating febuxostat compared with allopurinol.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- Efficacy of ABT-122 Maintained in Psoriatic Arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis at 36 Weeks
- Comorbid Fibromyalgia Influences Disease Activity, Quality of Life in Axial Spondyloarthritis
- Knee Load Associated With Increased Walking Pain in Osteoarthritis
- Pain Catastrophizing Decreases in Rheumatoid Arthritis After DMARD Initiation
- CVD Prevention Measures Inadequate in Patients With Inflammatory Joint Diseases
- Genetic Screening May Predict Osteoporosis, Fracture Risk
- Exploring the Clinical Implications of Cannabinoid Use in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Diagnosing Lyme Disease in Children With Neuropsychiatric Illness
- Predicting Primary Nonresponse to Methotrexate in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Prednisone, Prednisolone Does Not Adversely Affect Bone Mineral Density in RA
- Sulfasalazine Reduces Pneumocystis Pneumonia Risk in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Response to Certolizumab Pegol at 12 Weeks Predicts Long-Term RA Outcomes
- Performance Phenotypes of Lumbar Spinal Stenosis and OA With Accelerometry Data
- Characteristics of Early-Onset SLE Distinguished From Mimicking Conditions