Risk for dementia may be increased with high serum uric acid levels in elderly individuals.
Higher Monosodium Urate Crystal Depositions With Greater Disease Severity in Allopurinol-Treated Gout
In patients with gout who are treated with allopurinol, monosodium urate crystal depositions are higher with evidence of greater disease severity.
Febuxostat may lower blood pressure in patients with hyperuricemia, hypertension, and normal renal function.
New allopurinol use was associated with a reduced risk of incident peripheral arterial disease.
A stepwise dose increase in febuxostat plus low-dose colchicine prophylaxis was effective in the reduction of gout flares compared with febuxostat alone.
As the risk of developing gout is high in patients with hypertension, management of serum uric acid levels may improve patient outcomes.
A recent study assessed whether gout is a cardiovascular risk equivalent for stroke and myocardial infarction, similar to diabetes.
Gout medication febuxostat (Uloric) was associated with an increased risk of heart-related death and death from all causes.
The SSDM series of applications is cost-effective for patients of rheumatologists.
Despite rapidly lowering serum uric acid levels, lesinurad cannot be recommended alone at 400 mg per day, due to substantial adverse events.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- Raynaud Phenomenon, Migraine Linked to aPS/PT Antibodies in Primary Antiphospholipid Syndrome
- Case Study: A Syncopal Episode During a Camping Trip
- Then and Now: The Crisis of Physician Suicides
- Increased HLA-B27 Associated With More Severe Sonographic Enthesitis in PsA
- Aspirin Similar to Rivaroxaban for VTE Prophylaxis After Hip, Knee Arthroplasty
- FDA Advises Recall: Limbrel May Be Linked to Drug-Induced Liver Injury
- Allopurinol Use May Lower Risk for Peripheral Arterial Disease
- Managing Treatment Nonadherence in Rheumatic Diseases
- Optimal Fibromyalgia Management Includes Individualized, Multimodal Therapy
- Risk for COPD, Asthma Among Women With Rheumatoid Arthritis: Nurses' Health Study
- Ocular Complications of Gout: The Spectrum of Urate Crystal Deposition
- Digital Medicine Innovations Expand Access to Rural, Low-Income Communities
- Elevated Serum Uric Acid Levels May Increase Risk for Dementia in Older Adults
- Implications of the Regulatory Accountability Act on Public Health
- Synovial Joint Biopsy Techniques: Arthroscopy vs Ultrasound-Guided Methods