Assessing the relationship between gout and the metabolic syndrome may provide insight into the management of both conditions.
Higher Monosodium Urate Crystal Depositions With Greater Disease Severity in Allopurinol-Treated GoutDecember 08, 2017
In patients with gout who are treated with allopurinol, monosodium urate crystal depositions are higher with evidence of greater disease severity.
Febuxostat may lower blood pressure in patients with hyperuricemia, hypertension, and normal renal function.
New allopurinol use was associated with a reduced risk of incident peripheral arterial disease.
As the risk of developing gout is high in patients with hypertension, management of serum uric acid levels may improve patient outcomes.
A stepwise dose increase in febuxostat plus low-dose colchicine prophylaxis was effective in the reduction of gout flares compared with febuxostat alone.
A recent study assessed whether gout is a cardiovascular risk equivalent for stroke and myocardial infarction, similar to diabetes.
Gout medication febuxostat (Uloric) was associated with an increased risk of heart-related death and death from all causes.
The SSDM series of applications is cost-effective for patients of rheumatologists.
Machelle Manuel, PhD, discusses further gout treatment options to consider when target serum urate levels are not attained.
Despite rapidly lowering serum uric acid levels, lesinurad cannot be recommended alone at 400 mg per day, due to substantial adverse events.
A recent clinical trial has shown promising results that the drug febuxostat is effective at reducing gout flares in adults with early gout.
The US FDA has approved a new fixed-dose and dual-mechanism treatment option for uncontrolled gout.
Patients with tophaceous gout undergoing combination therapy with lesinurad and febuxostat showed a greater degree of symptom resolution than with febuxostat monotherapy.
Accidental patient dosing with Zurampic can potentially cause adverse renal effects such as acute renal failure; this is more common if Zurampic is given alone without a xanthine oxidase inhibitor.
Belief about medicines, presence of comorbidity, and being married positively influence adherence to medication.
Following the diet may be a good option for patients who prefer to avoid medication.
Reduced levels of serum uric acid are associated with markedly fewer new-onset gout and gout flares.
The presence of tophi at baseline was associated with an almost 3-fold increased risk for death from all causes.
There was low quality evidence from three trials indicating no reduction in systolic (-6.2mmHg, 95% CI: -12.8 to 0.5) or diastolic (-3.9mmHg, 95% CI: -9.2 to 1.4) 24-hour ambulatory BP with uric acid lowering drugs vs. placebo.
A panel of clinician experts discusses the pivotal role of diet in the management of chronic gout.
Study analyzes insurance claims data to examine the relationship between allopurinol use in patients with both gout and diabetes and its effect on cardiovascular event risk.
Ultrasonography detects different ankle pathologies in various inflammatory rheumatic diseases.
Research comes from meta-analysis of 25 population-based studies on 5 major forms of arthritis.
Clinical management recommendations for juvenile dermatomyositis, updated guidelines for low back pain treatment, and more of this week's news.
Study evaluated cardiovascular risk in patients with a new diagnosis of gout using risk prediction tools and carotid ultrasound.
Prospective study examines women with a history of gout and risk of hip and wrist fractures.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has accepted for review the New Drug Application (NDA) for Duzallo (lesinurad/allopurinol fixed-dose combination; Ironwood) for the treatment of hyperuricemia in patients with uncontrolled gout.
Machelle Manuel, PhD, vice president of medical scientific affairs, at Ironwood Pharmaceuticals discusses new hyperuricemia treatment options.
Puja Paul Khanna, MD, MPH, sat down with Rheumatology Advisor to discuss the safety profile of lesinurad.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- Large Vessel Vasculitis Imaging: Recommendations for Clinical Practice
- Salivary Gland Ultrasound Scores Improved With Rituximab in Primary Sjogren's Syndrome
- Joint Replacement Rates in OA With Diabetes: Effects of COX-2 Inhibitors Plus Metformin
- Imaging Changes Examined in Tocilizumab-Treated Polymyalgia Rheumatica
- Cancer Immunotherapy Outcomes Evaluated in Patients With Rheumatic Disease
- FDA Advises Recall: Limbrel May Be Linked to Drug-Induced Liver Injury
- Allopurinol Use May Lower Risk for Peripheral Arterial Disease
- Managing Treatment Nonadherence in Rheumatic Diseases
- Optimal Fibromyalgia Management Includes Individualized, Multimodal Therapy
- Risk for COPD, Asthma Among Women With Rheumatoid Arthritis: Nurses' Health Study
- Raynaud Phenomenon, Migraine Linked to aPS/PT Antibodies in Primary Antiphospholipid Syndrome
- Treating Violence as a Contagious Health Problem
- Factors of Plasma Ropivacaine Concentrations After Local Infiltration Analgesia in TKA
- Anti-CCP Positivity Associated With Increased Risk of Major Fracture in RA
- Then and Now: The Crisis of Physician Suicides