Serum uric acid levels above the median prior to cardiac surgery is independently associated with 5.5-fold increased odds of postoperative acute kidney injury.
A study of Medicare patients found that atrial fibrillation was nearly twice as likely to develop in those with vs without gout.
Patients with early-onset gout experience more severe acute joint involvement and earlier metabolic comorbidities than those with common gout.
Data show that gout is associated with an increased risk of developing erectile dysfunction.
Researchers sought to assess the risk for in-hospital gout flares in patients with gout.
Both high and low uric acid levels are associated with an increased risk for mortality.
A study documents a 27% increase in visits to emergency departments for a primary diagnosis of acute gout from 2006 to 2014.
Data suggest that vitamin C supplementation should not be recommended to lower plasma urate.
Medication adherence also remained low in patients who reinitiate treatment after a gap in therapy.
Recent data showed no difference in the risk for myocardial infarction, stroke, new-onset heart failure, coronary revascularization, or all-cause mortality between patients initiating febuxostat compared with allopurinol.
The FDA recently issued a public safety alert in response to the results of CARES trial, which showed increased CV and all-cause mortality in patients with gout and established CVD who were treated with febuxostat therapy.
Asymptomatic sons of people with gout frequently have hyperuricemia and monosodium urate crystal deposits.
Dual-energy computed tomography was superior to ultrasound for diagnosing suspected gouty knee arthritis.
Mobile phone text reminders could be an important tool to enhance medication adherence in people with gout.
The use of urate-lowering therapy in patients with gout had neither beneficial nor adverse effects on long-term fracture risk.
The study authors retrospectively analyzed the charts of 4 chronic gout patients from a practice-based rheumatology clinic.
Ethnicity and hypertension have an association with incident gout that is not fully explained by differences in serum urate.
Investigators sought to examine the prevalence of CVD in patients with crystal-proven gout compared with control patients with arthritis.
Researchers found that the overall risk for hospitalization due to allopurinol-associated severe cutaneous adverse reactions is rare.
Addressing the challenges associated with clinical management of calcium pyrophosphate crystal deposition must start with understanding the unmet needs of associated joint damage and establishing a clearly defined strategy to address these needs.
Corticosteroids appear to be a reasonable alternative to NSAIDs for the treatment of acute pain as a result of gout.
Fenofibrate may be a valuable adjunct therapy in type 2 diabetes to reduce the burden of gout.
Investigators sought to determine whether allopurinol dose escalation is associated with all-cause mortality.
Ultrasound is a reliable diagnostic tool for identifying calcium pyrophosphate deposition disease.
Febuxostat is noninferior to allopurinol for rates of adverse CV events but is associated with higher all-cause and CV mortality in patients with gout and CVD.
Serum urate level is a strong predictor of incident gout, but only about half of patients with hyperuricemia develop clinically evident gout.
A patient with a history of uncontrolled gout presents with highly refractile, crystal-like macular lesions.
Risk for dementia may be increased with high serum uric acid levels in elderly individuals.
Assessing the relationship between gout and the metabolic syndrome may provide insight into the management of both conditions.
Higher Monosodium Urate Crystal Depositions With Greater Disease Severity in Allopurinol-Treated GoutDecember 08, 2017
In patients with gout who are treated with allopurinol, monosodium urate crystal depositions are higher with evidence of greater disease severity.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- Promising Antibody Markers Identified for aPL-Related Pregnancy Complications
- Comorbid Fibromyalgia Influences Disease Activity, Quality of Life in Axial Spondyloarthritis
- Efficacy of ABT-122 Maintained in Psoriatic Arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis at 36 Weeks
- Knee Load Associated With Increased Walking Pain in Osteoarthritis
- Pain Catastrophizing Decreases in Rheumatoid Arthritis After DMARD Initiation
- Genetic Screening May Predict Osteoporosis, Fracture Risk
- Exploring the Clinical Implications of Cannabinoid Use in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Diagnosing Lyme Disease in Children With Neuropsychiatric Illness
- Predicting Primary Nonresponse to Methotrexate in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Prednisone, Prednisolone Does Not Adversely Affect Bone Mineral Density in RA
- Characteristics of Early-Onset SLE Distinguished From Mimicking Conditions
- Uric Acid Predicts AKI Risk After Cardiac Surgery
- Examining Gaps in Mental Health Care Among Youth With Juvenile Rheumatic Disease
- AMA Proposes Policy Opposing Medicaid 'Lockout' Provisions
- TNFi Not Linked to Increased Risk for Cancer Recurrence in Rheumatoid Arthritis