Case Studies and Clinical Highlights Archive
AA amyloidosis is a rare but significant complication of ankylosing spondylitis (AS) and may lead to proteinuria and renal dysfunction.
Since certain syndromes are associated with good prognosis in a majority of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus, prompt diagnosis and initiation of early goal-directed treatment is crucial.
Patients with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS) should be cared for by a team of specialized healthcare providers to facilitate individualized care, which is especially important in the setting of pregnancy, which is considered high risk in EDS. Rheumatologists can provide valuable input, including assessment of joint laxity, providing analgesia for joint pain, and coordinating care to ensure maximum joint protection and function. Engage in this case study to review the management of EDS in pregnancy and to take a knowledge assessment.
Engage in this case study to test your diagnostic ability to differentiate pulmonary hypertension in the setting of systemic sclerosis.
Although surgery can present challenges in patients with ankylosing spondylitis, awareness of situations and conditions warranting special attention can ensure optimal patient outcomes. Review this case study to explore appropriate pre-, peri-, and postoperative approaches. A knowledge-based assessment is also provided.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- Painful Temporomandibular Joint Osteoarthritis: Glucosamine Supplements vs Ibuprofen
- Pooled Baricitinib Trial Data Reveal Lipid Profile Changes in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- TNF Inhibitor Response in Women vs Men With Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Incidence of Multiple Psychiatric Disorders Evaluated in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- US Healthcare Spending Twice as Much as Other High-Income Countries
- Arthritis Treatments: NSAIDs
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Disease Flares Increase During, Shortly After Pregnancy
- Pregnancy in Rheumatic Disease: Managing Potentially Teratogenic Medications
- Arthritis Treatments: DMARDS and Other Immune Modulators
- Total Costs Attributable to Biologic DMARDs in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Adherence to Anti-TNF Blocker Recommendations in axSpA Linked to Improved Quality of Life
- Capsule Endoscopy Superior to Colonoscopy for Detection of Crohn Disease in Spondyloarthritis
- Methotrexate May Decrease Risk for Ischemic Stroke in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Inflammatory Polyarthritis Patient Outcomes Compared From 1994 to 2004
- Clinician Roundtable: Preventing the Progression From Arthralgia to Arthritic Disease