New guidelines for rheumatoid arthritis treatment with DMARDs and money being steered into lupus research highlight this week's The Handoff.
One in four adults in the U.S. have been diagnosed with arthritis.
Connecticut considers rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia for medical marijuana treatment, while Lyme disease-carrying deer ticks continue to invade Michigan. All this and more in this week's edition.
Multiple new-onset systemic autoimmune joint disorders--including rheumatoid and psoriatic arthritis--may develop after Lyme disease treatment.
Officials with the FDA have approved safety labeling changes for fluoroquinolones, to enhance warnings about their association with disabling and potentially permanent side effects and to limit their use in patients with less serious bacterial infections
The findings could have important clinical implications in the treatment of patients with arthritis.
Polyphenols (baicalein, luteolin, and rosmarinic acid) and fatty acids (monolaurin and 10-HAD), and micronutrients (iodine and vitamins D3 and C) in combination with doxycycline were effective anti-borreliae substrates
Data from the Persistent Lyme Empiric Antibiotic Study Europe (PLEASE) trial assessed whether longer term use of certain antibiotics resulted in improvements in health-related quality of life after open-label treatment with ceftriaxone.
Self-discontinuation of biologic medication was associated with 5 predictive factors. Routine assessment for these specific factors in patients with chronic inflammatory rheumatic disease being treated with biologics may increase adherence to treatment.
Providing a low-cost mail-based intervention incorporating social norm feedback on high antibiotic use can consistently reduce such use over a 6-month period, according to a randomized, national study in England.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Increases Mortality Risk in Staphylococcus aureus Infections
- First Clinical Practice Guidelines for Sjögren's Syndrome Developed
- Antibiotic Resistance Problem Brought Before Congress
- FDA Delays Approval of JAK Inhibitor Baricitinib
- How Effective is RF Denervation for Symptomatic Knee OA?
- Allopurinol Use In Concomitant Gout and Diabetes Lowers Cardiovascular Event Risk
- Measuring Disease Activity in Psoriatic Arthritis
- JAK/STAT Inhibitors: A New Treatment Target for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Biosimilar Confidence: Physician-Patient Communication Sets the Tone
- VA and DoD Practice Guideline Update: Opioids for Chronic Pain
- Leg Positioning During Lumbar DXA Does Not Impact Trabecular Bone Scores
- Should Trabecular Bone Score Be Used to Predict Fragility Fracture Risk in T1D?
- DXA for Pediatric Bone Age Assessment Yields Similar Results vs Traditional Radiography
- Remote Osteoporosis Specialist Mentoring Program Improves Physician Self-Confidence
- Increased Costs Associated With Specialists Providing Primary Care