Kenneth Saag, MD, president of the National Osteoporosis Foundation (NOF), co-chair of the National Bone Health Alliance, and Rheumatology Advisor advisory board member, reports on the recent changes that have led to the current state of osteoporosis treatment in the US.
Researchers evaluated trabecular bone scores in 114 women during either "legs up" or "legs down" dual energy x-ray absorptiometry scans.
Fragility fracture risk increased with age and decreased with higher BMD in patients with type 1 diabetes.
Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry for bone age assessment complements traditional radiologic assessment.
The Bone Health TeleECHO Clinic helps mentor healthcare professionals and improves osteoporosis care in underserved communities.
This week, a phase III trial for investigational drug voclosporin for lupus nephritis treatment was approved, prolonged insomnia may lead to less robust bone formation — causing osteoporosis and bone fractures — and researchers found that women who drink a moderate amount of alcohol daily have a reduced risk of developing systemic lupus erythmatosus.
Three-year fracture study examines the effects of osteoporosis drug denosumab on fractures, bone mineral density, and bone turnover markers in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis.
Prospective observational cohort study examines association between post-ICU administration of anti-fracture therapy or glucocorticoids and longitudinal changes in bone mineral density.
For postmenopausal women with type 2 diabetes mellitus, the correlation between bone and basal metabolism depends on serum 25-hyroxyvitamin D levels.
Study used the University of Utah Health Care electronic health record (EHR) database, which contained data from 1.6 million patients.
Testosterone treatments help improve volumetric bone mineral density and bone strength in elderly men with low testosterone.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Increases Mortality Risk in Staphylococcus aureus Infections
- First Clinical Practice Guidelines for Sjögren's Syndrome Developed
- Antibiotic Resistance Problem Brought Before Congress
- FDA Delays Approval of JAK Inhibitor Baricitinib
- How Effective is RF Denervation for Symptomatic Knee OA?
- Allopurinol Use In Concomitant Gout and Diabetes Lowers Cardiovascular Event Risk
- Measuring Disease Activity in Psoriatic Arthritis
- JAK/STAT Inhibitors: A New Treatment Target for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Biosimilar Confidence: Physician-Patient Communication Sets the Tone
- VA and DoD Practice Guideline Update: Opioids for Chronic Pain
- Leg Positioning During Lumbar DXA Does Not Impact Trabecular Bone Scores
- Should Trabecular Bone Score Be Used to Predict Fragility Fracture Risk in T1D?
- DXA for Pediatric Bone Age Assessment Yields Similar Results vs Traditional Radiography
- Remote Osteoporosis Specialist Mentoring Program Improves Physician Self-Confidence
- Increased Costs Associated With Specialists Providing Primary Care