Denosumab may be beneficial for managing transfusion-dependent thalassemia-induced osteoporosis.
Insulin resistance may play an intermediary role in the relationship between adiposity and lumbar spine bone mass in adolescents.
Researchers examined the longitudinal relationship between bone mineral density and the incidence and progression of knee, hip, and hand osteoarthritis.
There is little justification for the use of vitamin D supplements to maintain or improve musculoskeletal health.
RAAS inhibitors do not have a deleterious effect on skeletal health in postmenopausal women.
The risk for fragility fractures is significantly lower in women with osteopenia who receive zoledronate than in those who receive placebo.
Osteoarthritis was the most common form of arthritis in patients with diabetes but rheumatoid arthritis had the most pronounced association with diabetes.
Investigators assessed the effectiveness of intravenous ibandronate on bone mineral density in patients with osteoporosis who did not respond to oral bisphosphonates.
Bisphosphonate holidays of 3 to 5 years have been recommended as a means of achieving the antifracture benefit of the medication.
Investigators sought to determine the effects of vitamin D3 supplementation in postmenopausal women with low serum 25(OH)D and high parathyroid hormone levels.
Early life exposures, such as maternal smoking and breastfeeding, may have effects on bone mineral density in young adulthood.
In postmenopausal women who were randomly assigned anastrozole, bone mineral density showed significant improvement at the lumbar spine.
Glucocorticoid therapy was linked to significant bone deficits across multiple axial sites, regardless of disease activity.
MicroRNAs Linked to Increased Cortical Bone Porosity in Postmenopausal Women With History of FractureSeptember 30, 2018
Findings suggest potential pathomechanistic links between miRNAs and cortical porosity. .
Researchers sought to determine the differences in muscle and bone quality in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, or both.
The ASBMR Secondary Fracture Prevention Initiative Coalition outlined recommendations to improve efforts to increase diagnosis and treatment of individuals who are at high risk for osteoporosis.
The risk for subsequent osteoporotic fracture was elevated for both sexes over a 25-year follow-up period.
Fifteen genetic determinants of fracture, which are also associated with bone mineral density, have been identified.
Investigators assess whether circulating advanced glycation end products and esRAGE were associated with bone turnover and risk for fracture.
A variety of underlying mechanisms may be attributed to the role of statins in preventing bone-related disorders.
Postoperative mortality is lower for medically stable older patients who undergo surgery for hip fracture on the day of admission or the following day.
Investigators assessed the effect of exercise modality during dietary-induced on bone health.
For older patients undergoing hip fracture repair, the level of sedation does not affect delirium risk overall.
Rates of incident clinical vertebral fracture, incident nonvertebral fracture, hip fracture, and clinical fractures decreased 6 months after initiation of teriparatide.
Genetic testing may identify individuals with an increased risk for osteoporosis and bone fracture.
Only one-third of Canadian patients received hip fracture repair surgery within the desired 24 hours.
A corrected HbA1c factor may improve the ability to predict the risk for fracture by the FRAX algorithm in T2D.
Researchers observed a reduction in subsequent nonvertebral fracture rates in patients who initiated osteoporosis treatment.
Investigators examined the effect of consuming a Mediterranean-style diet for 1 year on inflammatory response and bone health in the elderly.
The risk for bone fractures was not increased in patients with type 2 diabetes using empagliflozin compared with placebo or glimepiride.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- 5-Step Guide to Activity Tracker Use for Patients With Rheumatic Diseases
- Gout Associated With Worse Outcomes in Obstructive Coronary Artery Disease
- Filgotinib Effective for Treatment of Active Psoriatic Arthritis
- Standard Set of Outcomes Developed for Value-Based Health Care in Inflammatory Arthritis
- Clinically Meaningful Improvement in Rheumatoid Arthritis Assessed With RAPID-3
- Circadian Rhythm in Rheumatoid Arthritis: Using Chronotherapy to Improve Outcomes
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation Reduces Pain, Fatigue in Fibromyalgia
- Aspirin, Anticoagulants Similarly Prevent VTE After TKA
- Study: Cold Weather Joint Pain and Other Weather-Related Pain
- Increased Opioid Prescribing Linked to Chronic Usage in Patients With RA
- Treatment Retention Rates Lower in Patients Switching From Originator to Biosimilar Etanercept
- Climate Change Expected to Lead to Rise in Lyme Disease
- Red Cell Distribution Width Linked to Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors in Spondyloarthritis
- Higher Biologic Drug Survival in JIA With Younger Age at Treatment Initiation
- Enough Is Enough? When Health Metrics Shift From Useful to Too Much