Routine vitamin D and calcium supplementation in older adults is not supported for lowering the incidence of osteoporosis-related fractures.
In patients with rheumatic diseases, the incidence of pneumocystis pneumonia was reduced with primary prophylaxis with trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole.
A recent study assessed whether gout is a cardiovascular risk equivalent for stroke and myocardial infarction, similar to diabetes.
Sensitivity to physical activity in older adults may be a risk factor for reduced physical activity.
Identification of the biologic pathways by which psychosocial trauma may increase a woman's risk for autoimmune disorders is critical and may offer greater insight into disease etiology and strategies for prevention.
Daily B vitamins and folic acid do not affect fracture risk in women with preexisting CV disease.
Postoperative bone mineral density loss in gastric cancer may be affected by the reconstruction method.
The need for better adherence to basic infection prevention was highlighted after an investigation around a septic arthritis outbreak.
In young adults, fractures are mainly caused by severe trauma.
In older adults, there is an increased risk of facial injuries during recreational activities.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- 5-Step Guide to Activity Tracker Use for Patients With Rheumatic Diseases
- Gout Associated With Worse Outcomes in Obstructive Coronary Artery Disease
- Filgotinib Effective for Treatment of Active Psoriatic Arthritis
- Standard Set of Outcomes Developed for Value-Based Health Care in Inflammatory Arthritis
- Clinically Meaningful Improvement in Rheumatoid Arthritis Assessed With RAPID-3
- Circadian Rhythm in Rheumatoid Arthritis: Using Chronotherapy to Improve Outcomes
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation Reduces Pain, Fatigue in Fibromyalgia
- Aspirin, Anticoagulants Similarly Prevent VTE After TKA
- Study: Cold Weather Joint Pain and Other Weather-Related Pain
- Increased Opioid Prescribing Linked to Chronic Usage in Patients With RA
- Treatment Retention Rates Lower in Patients Switching From Originator to Biosimilar Etanercept
- Climate Change Expected to Lead to Rise in Lyme Disease
- Red Cell Distribution Width Linked to Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors in Spondyloarthritis
- Higher Biologic Drug Survival in JIA With Younger Age at Treatment Initiation
- Enough Is Enough? When Health Metrics Shift From Useful to Too Much