Routine vitamin D and calcium supplementation in older adults is not supported for lowering the incidence of osteoporosis-related fractures.
In patients with rheumatic diseases, the incidence of pneumocystis pneumonia was reduced with primary prophylaxis with trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole.
A recent study assessed whether gout is a cardiovascular risk equivalent for stroke and myocardial infarction, similar to diabetes.
Sensitivity to physical activity in older adults may be a risk factor for reduced physical activity.
Identification of the biologic pathways by which psychosocial trauma may increase a woman's risk for autoimmune disorders is critical and may offer greater insight into disease etiology and strategies for prevention.
Daily B vitamins and folic acid do not affect fracture risk in women with preexisting CV disease.
Postoperative bone mineral density loss in gastric cancer may be affected by the reconstruction method.
The need for better adherence to basic infection prevention was highlighted after an investigation around a septic arthritis outbreak.
In young adults, fractures are mainly caused by severe trauma.
In older adults, there is an increased risk of facial injuries during recreational activities.
There is an increased risk of frailty fracture for overweight or obese patients with DM.
After 2 weeks of a more sedentary routine, participants lost nearly a pound of lean muscle mass and gained body fat.
Prescription-grade chondroitin sulfate is as efficacious as celecoxib in reducing pain and improving function in patients with knee osteoarthritis.
Colecalciferol did not show a reduce risk for fracture or falls in middle age patients taking a monthly dose.
Rheumatoid Arthritis Increases Risk For Cardiovascular, All-Cause Mortality in End-Stage Renal DiseaseJune 15, 2017
Patients with rheumatoid arthritis and end-stage renal disease have an increased risk for cardiovascular-related death compared with patients without rheumatoid arthritis.
Adults who engage in high levels of exercise may gain 9 'biological' years.
A matched cohort study compared the risk of incident stroke in individuals with SLE with individuals without SLE in the general population.
Celecoxib plus a proton pump inhibitor reduces risk for recurrent upper gastrointestinal bleeding in patients with arthritis using NSAIDs who are at risk for cardiovascular, gastrointestinal events.
Periodontal disease may be the main precipitating factor in the development of rheumatoid arthritis by fostering the environment for multiple destructive mechanisms that attack synovial joints.
There was low quality evidence from three trials indicating no reduction in systolic (-6.2mmHg, 95% CI: -12.8 to 0.5) or diastolic (-3.9mmHg, 95% CI: -9.2 to 1.4) 24-hour ambulatory BP with uric acid lowering drugs vs. placebo.
A panel of clinician experts discusses the pivotal role of diet in the management of chronic gout.
Total hip BMD was associated with heart failure risk in black and non-black men, with an interaction by race.
Congress takes up the issue of antibiotic resistance with H.R. 1840: Reinvigorating Antibiotic and Diagnostic Innovation (READI).
An international team of researchers collected data from the Osteoarthritis Initiative to determine the effect of knee osteoarthritis on development of hypertension.
Guidelines on recommending statin treatment for African Americans differ between the US Preventive Services Task Force and the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association.
Study from The Netherlands randomly assigned 660 high-risk patients undergoing elective procedures involving iodinated contrast material to receive no prophylaxis or intravenous hydration.
Findings based on an analysis of 30 studies.
Scientists at Imperial College London analyzed 95 studies that included almost 2 million people.
The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices has issued updated 2017 immunization schedules for for children, adolescents, and adults.
CDC revises adult immunization advisory.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- Alternative Measurement of Psoriasis Severity Effective in CZP-Treated Psoriatic Arthritis
- Incident Gout Risk, Serum Urate, and Comorbidities: What Are the Links?
- Addressing Psychiatric Comorbidities in Inflammatory Rheumatic Diseases
- Clinician Roundtable: Improving Quality of Life in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Incidence of Clinically Significant GI Events in NSAID-Treated Arthritis
- EULAR Releases Recommendations for Pain Management in OA, Inflammatory Arthritis
- Risk of Developing Herpes Zoster Increased in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Supervised, Intense Exercise Improves Physical Fitness in Older Adults With RA
- Risks Associated With Co-Administration of Aspirin and Other NSAIDs
- The Dorsal 4-Finger Technique: A New Method to Examine Joints in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Gout, Urate-Lowering Therapy Not Associated With Risk for Fragility Fracture
- Does Exposure to Passive Smoke Increase Rheumatoid Arthritis Risk?
- Pegloticase Retreatment Effective for Gout After Gap in Therapy
- Tofacitinib Reduces MRI Inflammation, May Improve Outcomes in Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Associations Between Site-Specific BMD, Anthropometric, Glucose Homeostasis Traits