Assessment of Nitrated Nucleosome Levels and Neuropsychiatric Events in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
At this time, no serological test can distinguish neuropsychiatric events resulting from SLE activity from events resulting from other causes.
The risk for asthma may be increased in children born to mothers with systemic lupus erythematosus during pregnancy.
Patients with primary antiphospholipid syndrome and systemic lupus erythematosus-associated antiphospholipid syndrome have an almost 2.5-fold risk for development of atherosclerotic plaques in carotid and femoral arteries compared with healthy control patients.
Older patients with SLE are at a low risk for the development of proteinuria.
Lupus low disease activity state has been shown to be achievable and negatively associated with early damage accrual.
Investigators evaluated long-term outcomes with antimalarial use and organ damage, flares, disease activity, glucocorticoid use, and antimalarial associated retinopathy.
The SHARE initiative has formulated evidence-based recommendations for the diagnosis and treatment of lupus nephritis childhood-onset lupus nephritis.
Maternal systemic lupus erythematosus during pregnancy is associated with increased risk for asthma in children.
Switching from 1 antimalarial agent to a second may be beneficial in patients with cutaneous lupus erythematosus.
Atacicept may be safe and effective for lowering disease activity and severity in patients with active systemic lupus erythematosus.
Rates of SLE mortality have declined, but remain high relative to non-SLE mortality.
Anti-ficolin-2 autoantibodies may represent a biomarker for renal manifestations in patients with active systemic lupus erythematosus.
EULAR and ACR jointly funded and collaborated on creating a set of criteria that can be used to more accurately identify patients with SLE for inclusion in clinical trials.
The efficacy variables with the greatest effect on systemic lupus erythematous (SLE) Responder Index responder status in clinical trials include SLE Disease Activity Index improvement, concomitant medication adherence, and trial completion.
The recurrence of fetal cardiac conduction disturbances in the fetuses of women expressing anti-Ro/SSA antibodies may be influenced by the season of the year and maternal age.
While a treat to target strategy has been proposed for managing SLE, the impact of possible disease outcomes has not been fully evaluated.
Current smoking and >10 pack-years of smoking have demonstrated a strong and specific association with an increased risk for occurrence of anti-double-stranded DNA systemic lupus erythematosus.
In patients with SLE, 62.1% did not adhere to their medication regimens and 35% of patients demonstrated a depressed mood.
Identification of the biologic pathways by which psychosocial trauma may increase a woman's risk for autoimmune disorders is critical and may offer greater insight into disease etiology and strategies for prevention.
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus-Associated Cognitive Impairment May Be Identified With New Screening Tool
The high prevalence of cognitive impairment in patients with SLE creates a need for a reliable and cost-effective screening tool.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- Topical vs Oral NSAIDs for Rheumatoid Arthritis: Examining Cardiovascular Risks
- Update: 2017 Treat-to-Target Recommendations for Spondyloarthritis
- Risk for COPD, Asthma Examined in Women With Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Host Genetics May Affect Intestinal Microbiota Composition in Reactive Arthritis
- Introduction of bDMARDs Linked to Reduced Incidence of Total Knee Replacement
- Alogliptin May Be Associated With Lower Fracture Risk Compared With Linagliptin, Saxagliptin
- Managing Treatment Nonadherence in Rheumatic Diseases
- Hyperuricemia in Psoriatic Arthritis: Identifying Features to Improve Outcomes
- Routine Vitamin D, Calcium Supplementation Not Associated With Fracture Reduction in Older Adults
- Examining the Implications of Accelerated Coronary Plaque Formation in Psoriatic Arthritis
- Assessment of Nitrated Nucleosome Levels and Neuropsychiatric Events in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Clinicians Who Share Email Addresses With Patients Have Higher Satisfaction Scores
- Biosimilar LBEC0101 Equivalent to ETN-RP for RA Unresponsive to Methotrexate
- Adalimumab Demonstrated Superior Efficacy Over Standard of Care in Refractory Uveitis
- Clinician Counseling for Exercise Increased Among Adults With Arthritis Between 2002 and 2014