Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
Outcomes in systemic lupus erythematosus are largely influenced by level of poverty, type of neighborhood of residence, and chronic stress.
To assess validity of SLE-DAS, investigators performed a Spearman's correlation between SLE-DAS, PGA, and SLEDAI-2K at the last follow-up visit.
Cardiac screening in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and anti-Ro-positive antibodies does not appear to be beneficial in clinical practice.
Baricitinib 4 mg was safe and effective in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.
Recent data from EULAR 2018 highlight the existence of thrombotic factors in systemic lupus erythematosus.
Obesity is not associated with the development of lupus nephritis among patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.
Investigators sought to evaluate changes in demographic, clinical, and histologic presentation in patients with lupus nephritis between 1970 and 2016.
Female patients with systemic lupus erythematosus who had musculoskeletal symptoms or positive antiphospholipid antibodies demonstrated higher titers of anti-double-stranded DNA antibodies.
The pathogenic pathways of SLE-related cognitive dysfunction are yet to be fully elucidated, but vasculopathy, antibody-mediated neurotoxicity, impairments in cytokine signaling, and complement abnormalities have been proposed as contributing factors.
Recent evidence suggests that systemic sclerosis and SLE in pulmonary arterial hypertension should be considered separate diseases.
Quality of life measurements capture unique information about systemic lupus erythematosus that are not included in disease activity or damage evaluations.
The relationship between pain and cognitive dysfunction was explained by sleep disturbance and depressive symptoms.
Bisphosphonates and vitamin D may help prevent atherosclerosis in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.
Provisional criteria for global flares in patients with childhood-onset systemic lupus erythematosus are now available from the ACR.
Researchers compared the clinical, laboratory, and treatment characteristics of antiphospholipid antibody-positive patients with or without SLE.
Data show that anti-ENA results change infrequently, especially following 1 or more negative tests.
A 72-year-old Japanese woman with a 40-year history of lupus nephritis presented with leg edema that had lasted for several weeks.
Weekly belimumab treatment was safe and effective and superior to placebo for reducing disease activity over 52 weeks in patients who were hypocomplementemic and anti-dsDNA positive.
Researchers investigated whether patients with SLE receive lipid testing and statin prescriptions comparably with patients with diabetes.
Certain clinical and serological markers were predictive of future incident proteinuria in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.
Systemic lupus erythematosus is among the top 20 leading causes of death in women between the ages of 5 and 64 years in the United States.
Investigators suggest several mechanisms for the contribution of poverty to high mortality rates in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.
Researchers compared the quality of care received by patients with systemic lupus erythematosus in 2 settings within the same academic institution.
Judith A. James, MD, PhD, discusses the developments of precision medicine in rheumatology at the 2018 State-of-the-Art Clinical Symposium.
The Epstein-Barr virus EBNA2 protein and many coclustering human transcription factors occupied nearly half of SLE risk loci.
The frequency of metabolic syndrome among patients with SLE was approximately 45%.
Blisibimod was effective in patients with SLE in terms of steroid reduction, decreased proteinuria, and improvement in serological markers.
Neutrophil extracellular traps contain ubiquitinated proteins with a lower expression of polyubiquitinated proteins in patients with SLE.
Researchers examined differences in the ability to get pregnant in women with systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis.
Ofatumumab was a well-tolerated, safe, and effective alternative to rituximab for B cell depletion therapy.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- Baricitinib Shows Positive Results for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in Phase 2 Study
- Bimekizumab Linked to 12-Week Clinical Improvements in Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Tofacitinib May Effectively Alleviate Pain in RA, Psoriatic Arthritis, and Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Biologic Therapy in Ankylosing Spondylitis: Insights From Social Media
- Sprifermin Improved Cartilage Morphology, Thickness in Knee Osteoarthritis
- Examining the Therapeutic Possibilities of Nutrition in Fibromyalgia
- Managing Cognitive Dysfunction in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Sex-Based Differences in Rheumatoid Arthritis: Clinical Implications and Patient Management
- False-Positive Tuberculin Skin Test Results Linked to Methotrexate Therapy
- Risk of Developing Herpes Zoster Increased in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Occupational Exposure to Fumes Increases Rheumatoid Factor Levels in RA
- Does Maintenance of Certification Status Affect Patient Care?
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit
- Poverty, Neighborhood May Affect Outcomes in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Increased Rates of Opioid- and Injection Drug Use-Related Septic Knee Arthritis