Geoffrey Littlejohn, MD, provides a clinical perspective on the pathophysiology of fibromyalgia and the role of neurogenic inflammation in the disease process.
Smoking tobacco is a risk factor for cognitive dysfunction in patients with fibromyalgia.
Increases in stimulation intensity for transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation may benefit women with fibromyalgia-related pain, particularly older women and women with anxiety.
Operant learning may provide additional benefits compared with energy conservation in patients with fibromyalgia syndrome.
In a randomized control trial, researchers found that internet-delivered exposure therapy was more cost-effective for patients with fibromyalgia than a waitlist control, which did not involve any treatment during the experimental phase of the study.
Researchers identified risk factors for suicidal ideation and suicide attempts in patients with fibromyalgia.
Allopurinol did not provide pain relief for patients with fibromyalgia pain over the course of 30 days.
The investigators hope that the BCG vaccine can increase anti-inflammatory cytokines, which are deficient in patients with fibromyalgia.
Patients with comorbid fibromyalgia and migraine vs migraine alone may experience more depressive symptoms, greater headache intensity, and be more likely to have severe headache-related disability.
Women with fibromyalgia were found to have elevated levels of endocannabinoidome lipid mediators.
Mirtazapine is a central alpha-2 antagonist currently FDA-approved for the treatment of major depressive disorder.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- One-Session Intervention for Hand OA Improved Grip Strength, Patient Satisfaction
- Exercise, TNFi Provide Differential Benefits for Cardiovascular Health in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Improving RA Diagnosis With Use of Anti-ACPAs
- Anti-Drug Antibody Incidence Risk in RA Increases Over Time With Adalimumab, Infliximab
- MBDA Scores Reflect Response to Rituximab Treatment in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Circadian Rhythm in Rheumatoid Arthritis: Using Chronotherapy to Improve Outcomes
- Inflammatory Arthritis and the Gut Microbiome: Do Microbes Hold the Key to New Treatments?
- Examining Insurance Complications in the Shared Decision Making Process for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Filgotinib Safe, Effective for Treatment of Active Ankylosing Spondylitis
- FDA Fast Track Designation Granted for Investigational Osteoarthritis Treatment
- Ultrasonography in Gout: Potential Applications for Diagnosis and Patient Monitoring
- AMA Code of Medical Ethics Guides Physicians in Fighting Harmful Online Health Information
- Immunogenicity of Golimumab Validated Using Novel Anti-Drug Antibody Detection Assay
- Poor Vitamin K Status Linked to Low BMD, Increased Fracture Risk in ESRD
- Most Insured Patients Not Using Online Portals