Mirtazapine is a central alpha-2 antagonist currently FDA-approved for the treatment of major depressive disorder.
Providing guidance to improve dietary behavior, which may include supplementation to achieve an optimal nutritional status, can contribute to improved control of fibromyalgia symptoms.
Pain catastrophizing may be associated with a reduced ability to effectively distract the mind from pain in patients with fibromyalgia.
Tai chi treatment results in similar or greater improvement in symptoms than aerobic exercise for a variety of outcomes for patients with fibromyalgia.
Researchers sought to confirm whether concomitant fibromyalgia has a negative effect on TNF blocker response.
IQuity has released a blood test called IsolateFibromyalgia, which uses RNA data to identify fibromyalgia.
A group acupuncture program may be beneficial for women with fibromyalgia.
No statistically significant benefit was reported in pain or anxiety outcomes among those with fibromyalgia or anxiety, respectively.
ADHD in adults typically co-occurs with fibromyalgia syndrome, and may negatively affect FMS-related morbidity.
Fibromyalgia has remained a clinically nebulous entity, and one that is very difficult to manage effectively.
A 10-minute cold application on the trapezius muscle was tied to a significant decrease in pain score.
Transcranial random noise stimulation improved both physical and cognitive symptoms in fibromyalgia.
This research is especially important given that patients with fibromyalgia have difficulty attending treatment sessions in person.
Connecticut considers rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia for medical marijuana treatment, while Lyme disease-carrying deer ticks continue to invade Michigan. All this and more in this week's edition.
Novel psychosocial therapies such as cognitive behavioral therapy that have been effective in adults with fibromyalgia need additional neuromuscular fitness training to overcome catastrophizing and fear of exercise in adolescents.
Study examines relationship between cardiovascular disease risk factors, rotator cuff tendinopathy, and glenohumeral joint pain.
Clinically significant improvement in several fibromyalgia symptoms highlighted by researcher from Spain.
A high prevalence of anti-TSH receptor antibodies were found in patients with fibromyalgia syndrome.
"Exercise-based motivational interviewing was associated with sustained clinical benefits 6 months after completion of therapy, but only for those who were not taking opioids."
Levels of depression and anxiety varied by disease. Special attention should be paid to patients with fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
New research suggests approaching the association between traumatic experiences and pain in a biopsychosocial paradigm, wherein affective distress and fibromyalgia features interact.
Preliminary data from a phase 3 trial evaluating the safety and efficacy of a new sublingual formulation of cyclobenzaprine HCl for the treatment of fibromyalgia has been released.
This is the first study to relate increased self regulatory fatigue with worsened quality of life for patients with fibromyalgia.
Water-based aquatic Ai Chi therapy was found to be associated with measurable reductions in pain and decreased fibromyalgia syndrome impact and quality of life
Person-centered progressive resistance training in women with FM for 15-weeks resulted in MFI-20 physical fatigue subscale improvements after adjustment for baseline differences in sleep.
EULAR has issued updated recommendations on the management of fibromyalgia based on systematic reviews and meta-analysis of data
While the addition of lidocaine to amitriptyline promoted a better analgesic effect in patients with FM at the 2 weeks time point, no meaningful improvements were noted at 8 weeks.
Gina Nick, NMD, PhD, discusses a naturopathic approach to chronic pain, a difficult condition to treat both in conventional medicine and in naturopathic medicine.
A comparison was made between the physician-based (MD) 2010 American College of Rheumatology (ACR) criteria for diagnosing fibromyalgia (FM) and the patient-based (PT) 2011 survey/research modified ACR criteria for FM diagnosis.
A systematic review of medical cannabinoid use for rheumatic disease shows that research has been limited by weak available evidence.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- Baricitinib Shows Positive Results for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in Phase 2 Study
- Bimekizumab Linked to 12-Week Clinical Improvements in Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Tofacitinib May Effectively Alleviate Pain in RA, Psoriatic Arthritis, and Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Biologic Therapy in Ankylosing Spondylitis: Insights From Social Media
- Sprifermin Improved Cartilage Morphology, Thickness in Knee Osteoarthritis
- Examining the Therapeutic Possibilities of Nutrition in Fibromyalgia
- Managing Cognitive Dysfunction in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Sex-Based Differences in Rheumatoid Arthritis: Clinical Implications and Patient Management
- False-Positive Tuberculin Skin Test Results Linked to Methotrexate Therapy
- Risk of Developing Herpes Zoster Increased in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Occupational Exposure to Fumes Increases Rheumatoid Factor Levels in RA
- Does Maintenance of Certification Status Affect Patient Care?
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit
- Poverty, Neighborhood May Affect Outcomes in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Increased Rates of Opioid- and Injection Drug Use-Related Septic Knee Arthritis