Febuxostat is noninferior to allopurinol for rates of adverse CV events but is associated with higher all-cause and CV mortality in patients with gout and CVD.
Serum urate level is a strong predictor of incident gout, but only about half of patients with hyperuricemia develop clinically evident gout.
A patient with a history of uncontrolled gout presents with highly refractile, crystal-like macular lesions.
Risk for dementia may be increased with high serum uric acid levels in elderly individuals.
Assessing the relationship between gout and the metabolic syndrome may provide insight into the management of both conditions.
Higher Monosodium Urate Crystal Depositions With Greater Disease Severity in Allopurinol-Treated GoutDecember 08, 2017
In patients with gout who are treated with allopurinol, monosodium urate crystal depositions are higher with evidence of greater disease severity.
Febuxostat may lower blood pressure in patients with hyperuricemia, hypertension, and normal renal function.
New allopurinol use was associated with a reduced risk of incident peripheral arterial disease.
As the risk of developing gout is high in patients with hypertension, management of serum uric acid levels may improve patient outcomes.
A stepwise dose increase in febuxostat plus low-dose colchicine prophylaxis was effective in the reduction of gout flares compared with febuxostat alone.
A recent study assessed whether gout is a cardiovascular risk equivalent for stroke and myocardial infarction, similar to diabetes.
Gout medication febuxostat (Uloric) was associated with an increased risk of heart-related death and death from all causes.
The SSDM series of applications is cost-effective for patients of rheumatologists.
Machelle Manuel, PhD, discusses further gout treatment options to consider when target serum urate levels are not attained.
Despite rapidly lowering serum uric acid levels, lesinurad cannot be recommended alone at 400 mg per day, due to substantial adverse events.
A recent clinical trial has shown promising results that the drug febuxostat is effective at reducing gout flares in adults with early gout.
The US FDA has approved a new fixed-dose and dual-mechanism treatment option for uncontrolled gout.
Patients with tophaceous gout undergoing combination therapy with lesinurad and febuxostat showed a greater degree of symptom resolution than with febuxostat monotherapy.
Accidental patient dosing with Zurampic can potentially cause adverse renal effects such as acute renal failure; this is more common if Zurampic is given alone without a xanthine oxidase inhibitor.
Belief about medicines, presence of comorbidity, and being married positively influence adherence to medication.
Following the diet may be a good option for patients who prefer to avoid medication.
Reduced levels of serum uric acid are associated with markedly fewer new-onset gout and gout flares.
The presence of tophi at baseline was associated with an almost 3-fold increased risk for death from all causes.
There was low quality evidence from three trials indicating no reduction in systolic (-6.2mmHg, 95% CI: -12.8 to 0.5) or diastolic (-3.9mmHg, 95% CI: -9.2 to 1.4) 24-hour ambulatory BP with uric acid lowering drugs vs. placebo.
A panel of clinician experts discusses the pivotal role of diet in the management of chronic gout.
Study analyzes insurance claims data to examine the relationship between allopurinol use in patients with both gout and diabetes and its effect on cardiovascular event risk.
Ultrasonography detects different ankle pathologies in various inflammatory rheumatic diseases.
Research comes from meta-analysis of 25 population-based studies on 5 major forms of arthritis.
Clinical management recommendations for juvenile dermatomyositis, updated guidelines for low back pain treatment, and more of this week's news.
Study evaluated cardiovascular risk in patients with a new diagnosis of gout using risk prediction tools and carotid ultrasound.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- Painful Temporomandibular Joint Osteoarthritis: Glucosamine Supplements vs Ibuprofen
- Pooled Baricitinib Trial Data Reveal Lipid Profile Changes in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- TNF Inhibitor Response in Women vs Men With Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Incidence of Multiple Psychiatric Disorders Evaluated in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- US Healthcare Spending Twice as Much as Other High-Income Countries
- Arthritis Treatments: NSAIDs
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Disease Flares Increase During, Shortly After Pregnancy
- Pregnancy in Rheumatic Disease: Managing Potentially Teratogenic Medications
- Arthritis Treatments: DMARDS and Other Immune Modulators
- Total Costs Attributable to Biologic DMARDs in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Adherence to Anti-TNF Blocker Recommendations in axSpA Linked to Improved Quality of Life
- Capsule Endoscopy Superior to Colonoscopy for Detection of Crohn Disease in Spondyloarthritis
- Methotrexate May Decrease Risk for Ischemic Stroke in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Inflammatory Polyarthritis Patient Outcomes Compared From 1994 to 2004
- Clinician Roundtable: Preventing the Progression From Arthralgia to Arthritic Disease