A history of gout was associated with worse outcomes in patients with obstructive coronary artery disease.
Data show an increased prevalence of psoriasis in patients with gout compared with patients without gout.
Gout may be a risk factor for the development of CKD stage ≥3.
For patients with gout, allopurinol is associated with a reduced risk for developing chronic kidney disease stage ≥3.
An expert panel evaluated 23 separate statements related to the etiology, diagnosis, and treatment of gout.
Study reveals an 11% prevalence of active gout among solid organ transplant recipients overall and a 13% prevalence among kidney transplant recipients.
Ultrasound can show decreased urate deposition after urate lowering therapy.
Patients with gout who did not reach a serum uric acid level below 6 mg/dL had a 2.4-fold increased risk for death.
Gout may be associated with a higher risk for incident PD in older adults.
In a British study, nurse-led care emphasizing patient education and engagement significantly improved the proportion of gout sufferers who achieved target serum urate levels.
The plasma level of leukotriene B4 was increased in patients with acute gout.
Diet explains little of the variation in serum urate levels in the general population, while genetic factors make a greater contribution.
Ultrasound examination may be used to detect crystal deposition in the renal medulla in patients with tophaceous gout.
Researchers examined the use of dual-energy computed tomography gout imaging in clinical practice from 2007 to 2016.
The extent of monosodium urate burden measured with dual-energy computed tomography can predict the risk for disease flares in patients with gout.
Researchers evaluated the distribution of ultrasound features of lower-limb joints and the risk factors of tophus in patients with gout.
Although a combination of lesinurad 200 mg and xanthine oxidase inhibitor therapy was effective and well-tolerated among patients with gout, clinical gout-related benefits were not improved.
People with obstructive sleep apnea continued to be at higher risk of developing gout after the first year of obstructive sleep apnea diagnosis.
Inhibition of IL-1ß with canakinumab significantly decreased gout attack risk at all baseline serum uric acid (SUA) levels and without changing SUA levels.
Researchers found insufficient evidence of teratogenicity for allopurinol taken prior to or during pregnancy.
Although bariatric surgery is the most effective treatment strategy for severe obesity, there is a dearth of research regarding the effects of this procedure on patients with gout.
The 10-year prevalence of colonoscopy-documented colorectal cancer was 0.8% among gout patients vs 3.7% among osteoarthritis patients.
Gout was associated with a higher risk of developing hearing loss in older adults.
In a large Swedish study of middle-aged individuals, increments in baseline serum urate levels were associated with progressively increased risks of gout over a mean 28 years of follow-up.
Treating patients with gout with lesinurad 200 mg and xanthine oxidase inhibitors for 24 months revealed no new safety concerns.
A minority of people with gout never reach target serum urate levels when allopurinol dose is increased in a treat-to-target manner.
Increased ferritin levels were associated with gout and flare frequency.
Overall obesity is associated with an increased risk for gout and with higher serum urate concentrations.
Patients with gout have an increased risk for total joint replacement, which may not be reduced by urate-lowering treatment.
Researchers assessed the efficacy and safety of febuxostat extended release and immediate release in patients with gout and normal or impaired renal function.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- 5-Step Guide to Activity Tracker Use for Patients With Rheumatic Diseases
- Gout Associated With Worse Outcomes in Obstructive Coronary Artery Disease
- Filgotinib Effective for Treatment of Active Psoriatic Arthritis
- Standard Set of Outcomes Developed for Value-Based Health Care in Inflammatory Arthritis
- Clinically Meaningful Improvement in Rheumatoid Arthritis Assessed With RAPID-3
- Circadian Rhythm in Rheumatoid Arthritis: Using Chronotherapy to Improve Outcomes
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation Reduces Pain, Fatigue in Fibromyalgia
- Aspirin, Anticoagulants Similarly Prevent VTE After TKA
- Study: Cold Weather Joint Pain and Other Weather-Related Pain
- Increased Opioid Prescribing Linked to Chronic Usage in Patients With RA
- Treatment Retention Rates Lower in Patients Switching From Originator to Biosimilar Etanercept
- Climate Change Expected to Lead to Rise in Lyme Disease
- Red Cell Distribution Width Linked to Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors in Spondyloarthritis
- Higher Biologic Drug Survival in JIA With Younger Age at Treatment Initiation
- Enough Is Enough? When Health Metrics Shift From Useful to Too Much