Case Studies and Clinical Highlights Archive
AA amyloidosis is a rare but significant complication of ankylosing spondylitis (AS) and may lead to proteinuria and renal dysfunction.
Since certain syndromes are associated with good prognosis in a majority of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus, prompt diagnosis and initiation of early goal-directed treatment is crucial.
Patients with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS) should be cared for by a team of specialized healthcare providers to facilitate individualized care, which is especially important in the setting of pregnancy, which is considered high risk in EDS. Rheumatologists can provide valuable input, including assessment of joint laxity, providing analgesia for joint pain, and coordinating care to ensure maximum joint protection and function. Engage in this case study to review the management of EDS in pregnancy and to take a knowledge assessment.
Engage in this case study to test your diagnostic ability to differentiate pulmonary hypertension in the setting of systemic sclerosis.
Although surgery can present challenges in patients with ankylosing spondylitis, awareness of situations and conditions warranting special attention can ensure optimal patient outcomes. Review this case study to explore appropriate pre-, peri-, and postoperative approaches. A knowledge-based assessment is also provided.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- Raynaud Phenomenon, Migraine Linked to aPS/PT Antibodies in Primary Antiphospholipid Syndrome
- Then and Now: The Crisis of Physician Suicides
- Case Study: A Syncopal Episode During a Camping Trip
- Salivary Gland Ultrasound Scores Improved With Rituximab in Primary Sjogren's Syndrome
- Joint Replacement Rates in OA With Diabetes: Effects of COX-2 Inhibitors Plus Metformin
- FDA Advises Recall: Limbrel May Be Linked to Drug-Induced Liver Injury
- Allopurinol Use May Lower Risk for Peripheral Arterial Disease
- Managing Treatment Nonadherence in Rheumatic Diseases
- Optimal Fibromyalgia Management Includes Individualized, Multimodal Therapy
- Risk for COPD, Asthma Among Women With Rheumatoid Arthritis: Nurses' Health Study
- Aspirin Effective for VTE Prophylaxis After Hip, Knee Arthroplasty
- Short-Form Patient-Reported Outcomes Tool Effective in SLE
- Burnout Prevalence High Among Physicians in Single Health System
- Expert Insight: Discussing Sensitive Topics With Patients
- Increased HLA-B27 Associated With More Severe Sonographic Enthesitis in PsA