Case Studies and Clinical Highlights Archive
AA amyloidosis is a rare but significant complication of ankylosing spondylitis (AS) and may lead to proteinuria and renal dysfunction.
Since certain syndromes are associated with good prognosis in a majority of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus, prompt diagnosis and initiation of early goal-directed treatment is crucial.
Patients with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS) should be cared for by a team of specialized healthcare providers to facilitate individualized care, which is especially important in the setting of pregnancy, which is considered high risk in EDS. Rheumatologists can provide valuable input, including assessment of joint laxity, providing analgesia for joint pain, and coordinating care to ensure maximum joint protection and function. Engage in this case study to review the management of EDS in pregnancy and to take a knowledge assessment.
Engage in this case study to test your diagnostic ability to differentiate pulmonary hypertension in the setting of systemic sclerosis.
Although surgery can present challenges in patients with ankylosing spondylitis, awareness of situations and conditions warranting special attention can ensure optimal patient outcomes. Review this case study to explore appropriate pre-, peri-, and postoperative approaches. A knowledge-based assessment is also provided.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- 5-Step Guide to Activity Tracker Use for Patients With Rheumatic Diseases
- Gout Associated With Worse Outcomes in Obstructive Coronary Artery Disease
- Filgotinib Effective for Treatment of Active Psoriatic Arthritis
- Standard Set of Outcomes Developed for Value-Based Health Care in Inflammatory Arthritis
- Clinically Meaningful Improvement in Rheumatoid Arthritis Assessed With RAPID-3
- Circadian Rhythm in Rheumatoid Arthritis: Using Chronotherapy to Improve Outcomes
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation Reduces Pain, Fatigue in Fibromyalgia
- Aspirin, Anticoagulants Similarly Prevent VTE After TKA
- Study: Cold Weather Joint Pain and Other Weather-Related Pain
- Increased Opioid Prescribing Linked to Chronic Usage in Patients With RA
- Assessing Insurance Coverage Trends in Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Adults in the Post-ACA Era
- Immunogenicity of Pneumococcal Vaccines Examined in Children With SLE
- Decreased Health, Social Service Utilization Among Immigrants Following 2016 Presidential Election
- Making the Case for Donor-Funded Research
- Positive Coombs Test Without Hemolytic Anemia Predicts Disease Activity in SLE