Researchers identified independent predictors of short-term dermatomyositis- or polymyositis-related interstitial lung disease mortality.
Tools that can effectively predict course and progression of dermatomyositis can help to identify optimal treatment and ultimately improve quality of life for patients with this rare and debilitating autoimmune disease.
The investigators sought to examine the efficacy and safety of abatacept in patients with DM or PM who were refractory to conventional therapies.
Factors associated with favorable treatment responses to conventional therapy and tacrolimus in myositis-associated interstitial lung disease were examined in a retrospective cohort study.
Infections and respiratory tract diseases are linked to a greater risk for idiopathic inflammatory myopathy.
A European committee of pediatric rheumatology experts has provided the first consensus-based recommendations for clinical management of juvenile dermatomyositis.
The relationship between PM and ALS could indicate a common pathophysiology.
Patients with PM or DM had an increased prevalence of cardiac abnormalities, most commonly left ventricular diastolic dysfunction, compared with healthy controls.
Recognizing dysphagia is important because it is associated with various clinical features that lead to an impaired quality of life and poor prognosis.
Five randomized controlled trials including adult patients with polymyositis and dermatomyositis (DM) and additional open studies have demonstrated reduced impairment and activity limitation as well as improved quality of life. Exercise can improve muscle aerobic capacity as shown by increased mitochondrial enzyme activity. These data suggest that intensive aerobic exercise and resistance training could reduce disease activity and inflammation and improve muscle metabolism.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- 5-Step Guide to Activity Tracker Use for Patients With Rheumatic Diseases
- Gout Associated With Worse Outcomes in Obstructive Coronary Artery Disease
- Filgotinib Effective for Treatment of Active Psoriatic Arthritis
- Standard Set of Outcomes Developed for Value-Based Health Care in Inflammatory Arthritis
- Clinically Meaningful Improvement in Rheumatoid Arthritis Assessed With RAPID-3
- Circadian Rhythm in Rheumatoid Arthritis: Using Chronotherapy to Improve Outcomes
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation Reduces Pain, Fatigue in Fibromyalgia
- Aspirin, Anticoagulants Similarly Prevent VTE After TKA
- Study: Cold Weather Joint Pain and Other Weather-Related Pain
- Increased Opioid Prescribing Linked to Chronic Usage in Patients With RA
- Assessing Insurance Coverage Trends in Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Adults in the Post-ACA Era
- Immunogenicity of Pneumococcal Vaccines Examined in Children With SLE
- Decreased Health, Social Service Utilization Among Immigrants Following 2016 Presidential Election
- Making the Case for Donor-Funded Research
- Positive Coombs Test Without Hemolytic Anemia Predicts Disease Activity in SLE