Results from the EPCAT II trial show that aspirin was not significantly different from rivaroxaban for the prevention of deep-vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism after total hip or knee arthroplasty.
Researcher sought to determine the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine vs placebo as an analgesic treatment of hand osteoarthritis.
The effects of combination COX-2 inhibitor therapy with metformin on joint replacement rates were examined in patients with osteoarthritis and diabetes.
In older patients with knee OA, pain expectancy may affect the pain experience after genuine and sham electroacupuncture.
Patients with end-stage knee or hip osteoarthritis may often experience neuropathic pain, particularly at rest.
Use of the 2006 Orlando criteria vs the 2007 Budapest criteria for diagnosis of CRPS may lead to misdiagnosis of unexplained pain after TKA.
There is a need for programs that are designed to decrease disparities in joint replacement use among various populations.
Many individuals who use nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs tend to exceed the daily dose limit.
The use of celecoxib in patients with OA and RA was associated with a similar or a lower risk for cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, and renal adverse events compared with ibuprofen and naproxen.
Routine rehabilitation therapy along with adjunctive acupuncture may not provide a significant benefit over exercise, after total knee replacement.
Genicular nerve block may not predict pain relief following genicular nerve cooled radiofrequency ablation in patients with chronic knee pain due to OA.
Seven studies were included in a meta-analysis examining the potential benefit of bisphosphonate therapy in knee osteoarthritis.
Insulin resistance may be experienced by patients with T2D who receive an intra-articulate corticosteroid of betamethasone injection at the knee joint.
There was an increase in the age-adjusted prevalence of reporting health care provider counseling for exercise in adults with arthritis.
Patients with rheumatic diseases have a higher risk for dementia.
A study sought to determine whether physical activity has a protective effect against development of joint symptoms in middle-aged women.
Short-acting opioids are comparable with long-acting opioid medications for managing pain in patients with chronic osteoarthritis.
For patients with osteoarthritis-related knee pain, cooled radiofrequency ablation may provide greater pain relief compared with steroid injections.
Bisphosphonates did not show to be beneficial for patients with knee osteoarthritis.
Allan Gibofsky, MD, discusses inhibition of the Wnt pathway and its potential benefits for the treatment of osteoarthritis.
Hydroxychloroquine is not significantly more effective in treating osteoarthritis of the hand than placebo.
As of November 21, 2017, the FDA received 194 adverse event reports about the unapproved osteoarthritis treatment Limbrel.
Patients with rheumatoid arthritis may be at increased risk for prosthetic joint infection and death after total knee or hip arthroplasty, compared with patients with osteoarthritis.
Zilretta is now available for pain management in knee osteoarthritis.
Individuals with osteoarthritis may exhibit a higher prevalence of sarcopenic obesity, compared with patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
The SSDM series of applications is cost-effective for patients of rheumatologists.
Thoracic manifestations are common in connective tissue disease, also called collagen vascular disease.
In patients with hand osteoarthritis, pregabalin was shown to improve hand pain.
Inhibition of the Wnt pathway with the small molecule SM04690 was shown to improve pain and maintain or improve radiographic outcomes in patients with knee osteoarthritis.
In patients undergoing THA or TKA, the use of multimodal approaches for postoperative pain is increasing.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- Raynaud Phenomenon, Migraine Linked to aPS/PT Antibodies in Primary Antiphospholipid Syndrome
- Then and Now: The Crisis of Physician Suicides
- Case Study: A Syncopal Episode During a Camping Trip
- Salivary Gland Ultrasound Scores Improved With Rituximab in Primary Sjogren's Syndrome
- Joint Replacement Rates in OA With Diabetes: Effects of COX-2 Inhibitors Plus Metformin
- FDA Advises Recall: Limbrel May Be Linked to Drug-Induced Liver Injury
- Allopurinol Use May Lower Risk for Peripheral Arterial Disease
- Managing Treatment Nonadherence in Rheumatic Diseases
- Optimal Fibromyalgia Management Includes Individualized, Multimodal Therapy
- Risk for COPD, Asthma Among Women With Rheumatoid Arthritis: Nurses' Health Study
- Aspirin Effective for VTE Prophylaxis After Hip, Knee Arthroplasty
- Short-Form Patient-Reported Outcomes Tool Effective in SLE
- Burnout Prevalence High Among Physicians in Single Health System
- Expert Insight: Discussing Sensitive Topics With Patients
- Increased HLA-B27 Associated With More Severe Sonographic Enthesitis in PsA