Engage in this case study to test your diagnostic ability to differentiate pulmonary hypertension in the setting of systemic sclerosis.
Researchers sought to determine the prevalence of radiation complications in patients with systemic scleroderma and breast cancer.
Patients who underwent autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplant for systemic sclerosis saw improvements in quality of life.
Use of the DETECT algorithm did not change incidence of PAH, but led to an increased frequency of cases of borderline pulmonary hypertension.
These results likely indicate the importance of skin thickening in contributing to impairment of hand function.
Patients with systemic sclerosis and early-diagnosed pulmonary arterial hypertension had disease progression over a relatively short period of time.
A blinded analysis sought to determine whether CT signs of pulmonary veno-occlusive disease are common and predictive of mortality in patients with systemic sclerosis and pulmonary arterial hypertension.
Patients with scleroderma-associated isolated pulmonary arterial hypertension (SSc-PAH) have a slightly higher mortality risk than patients SSc-PAH with concomitant interstitial lung disease.
Rheumatology specialists should be aware of the clinical features of SSc-PAH, as well as the tools available to facilitate a prompt, accurate diagnosis.
Patients with systemic sclerosis-associated pulmonary arterial hypertension display important differences in hemodynamic and pulmonary function parameters compared with patients with idiopathic PAH.
Microvascular damage evaluated using nailfold capillaroscopy and macrovascular features that include ulnar artery occlusion, assessed per hand power Doppler ultrasonography, have demonstrated associations with the main digital manifestations of systemic sclerosis.
Rheumatology Advisor Articles
- Raynaud Phenomenon, Migraine Linked to aPS/PT Antibodies in Primary Antiphospholipid Syndrome
- Then and Now: The Crisis of Physician Suicides
- Case Study: A Syncopal Episode During a Camping Trip
- Salivary Gland Ultrasound Scores Improved With Rituximab in Primary Sjogren's Syndrome
- Joint Replacement Rates in OA With Diabetes: Effects of COX-2 Inhibitors Plus Metformin
- FDA Advises Recall: Limbrel May Be Linked to Drug-Induced Liver Injury
- Allopurinol Use May Lower Risk for Peripheral Arterial Disease
- Managing Treatment Nonadherence in Rheumatic Diseases
- Optimal Fibromyalgia Management Includes Individualized, Multimodal Therapy
- Risk for COPD, Asthma Among Women With Rheumatoid Arthritis: Nurses' Health Study
- Aspirin Effective for VTE Prophylaxis After Hip, Knee Arthroplasty
- Short-Form Patient-Reported Outcomes Tool Effective in SLE
- Burnout Prevalence High Among Physicians in Single Health System
- Expert Insight: Discussing Sensitive Topics With Patients
- Increased HLA-B27 Associated With More Severe Sonographic Enthesitis in PsA